You might’ve noticed that a lot of my recent posts have involved quick midweek meals. It’s been a really busy time so I’ve had to be more creative with fitting my new fortnightly recipe in, but even after 2 years and 5 months I’m not quite ready to give up my challenge! Actually, what’s great about fitting this blog around what’s happening in my life is the variety it provides me in my cooking. Sometimes I want to cook to impress, sometimes I have a Sunday afternoon to spend baking to my heart’s content, and sometimes there’s seemingly no time for anything and my priority is getting food in my belly ASAP! Today is about one of those, although I’ve yet to beat the 15 min wonder that is my Panfried Sea Bass with Asparagus and Blanched Spinach!
What drew me to this recipe was that it was quick, easy and most of the ingredients were the sorts of thing I’d have in the house anyway. The exceptions were the Udon noodles and cavolo nero, but our weekly meal plan means that this is easily resolved. This recipe calls for a really generous helping of cavolo nero, so you’re really getting a good hit of nutrients and greens. It’s also really filling and despite being billed to serve 2, I thought this could easily stretch to 3 unless you’re having large portions.
While this recipe worked well as a midweek meal, it’s not something that I’d probably serve if I had people coming over. It was good, but not great. For me, the main downfall of this recipe is that it didn’t work well as leftovers. I love the luxury of eating leftovers for dinner or lunch the next day, especially when it allows the flavours to really seep in. As always, I want to be as honest with you as possible in this journey of trying new recipes!
So, this serves 2-3 and total prep and cooking time should come to about 30mins.
- 300g straight to wok udon noodles (I used Sharwood)
- 2 chicken breasts, roughly cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 75g crunchy peanut butter
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (or replace with an oil of your choice)
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 20g fresh ginger, grated (or use ginger from a jar)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or grated
- 200g pack cavolo nero, finely shredded
How to make it…
- Heat the noodles according to the instructions on the pack (the Sharwood noodles needed 90 seconds in the microwave) and put to one side. Next, add 1 tbsp of the soy sauce and 1 tsp of the cumin to the chicken, and leave to soak in while you prepare the sauce.
- For the sauce, mix the remaining 1 tbsp of soy sauce and 1 tsp of cumin sauce with the peanut butter, chilli flakes and 5 tbsp of boiling water. Leave to one side.
- Fry the chicken with half the oil (1/2 tbsp) on a high heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and leave to one side on a plate.
- Add the remaining oil, and then fry the onion, ginger and garlic for 1-2 minutes on a high heat. Stir through the cavolo nero, and then finally add the noodles and the chicken.
This recipe has been adapted from Waitrose magazine, from the recipe ‘Satay chicken noodles with shredded cavolo nero’ in the February 2017 edition.