For me, there’s been too many reasons to justify ‘Treat Yo Self’ moments in 2017 so far. Birthdays, trips away, work stress, bereavement, everything that is happening in the world right now, Easter… The list goes on. And while I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the food I ate to comfort myself and don’t regret all of my food decisions at those times, I’m also trying to turn a bit of a corner now. Eat less sugar and get back into a more regular habit of yoga. While I’ll never be a person to give all those cheeky foods up, I’m looking for a bit more balance!
Now living with someone who has a lot more willpower than I do with cutting out unhealthy food definitely helps. This recipe is one for him really, as he’s on a high protein and low carb drive right now. This recipe is perfect for that, and is actually surprisingly filling given that there’s no substantial carbohydrate input.
Funnily enough, although this recipe is quite meat heavy it was actually recommended to me by a vegetarian friend who recently cooked this for her husband to be! It’s based on a BodyCoach recipe, but I’ve actually adapted the proportions quite a bit to make it feel a bit more balanced. I also believe that if you’re going to include any seeds or nuts, always toast them! So I’ve toasted the pine nuts here, which takes just a few more minutes and releases a great extra bit of flavour.
This serves 2 and total cooking + prep time should be 20-30mins. Perfect weekday meal!
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 tsp coconut oil, for frying
- 140g chorizo, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 200g boneless chicken thighs or breast, chopped into small pieces (1-2cm)
- 2 handfuls (approx 100g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 handfuls of baby leaf spinach
- 1 ball of mozzarella, torn into strips
How to make it…
- In a large frying pan, heat the pine nuts for a few minutes on a medium heat (WITHOUT OIL), until they start to brown and they begin to give off a lovely nutty scent. Stir to ensure they don’t blacken on any sides. Then, remove from the pan and leave to one side.
- In the same pan, heat the coconut oil. Then add the chorizo and fry for around 3 minutes, until it starts to release it’s oil. Then add the onions, and fry for another 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken. Stir fry on a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the chicken starts to brown.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, stirring through as you cook for another minute. Then, add the spinach and stir through for several minutes until fully wilted.
- Finally, take off the heat and add the mozzarella strips. Allow it to melt a little, and then add the toasted pine nuts to serve.
Recipe adapted from BodyCoach, at: https://www.thebodycoach.com/blog/bosh_try_this_nawwwty_cheesy_chorizo_chicken_and_spinach_recipe_75.html