This is a good quick, easy and healthy mid-week meal or lunch. It’s low in fat and high in protein due to the chicken and quinoa, and is lovely served with a salad or even just with a bit of raw spinach. The harissa paste does the hard work here so you don’t have to! And when it comes to chopping efforts, if you buy your chicken ready chopped then all you need to do is the peppers and the tomatoes. While it’s no show stopper, it looks a lot more impressive than the 15 minutes it takes to make! Serves 2.
- 100g quinoa
- 200ml chicken stock
- 300g chicken, chopped
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- olive oil (can substitute for another oil if you wish), for frying
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped, or 1 tsp dried coriander leaves
How to make it…
1. First, toast the quinoa in a saucepan on a medium heat for 3 minutes. This will help to release a slightly nutty flavour and give it a bit of a crunch. Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and then simmer on a low heat for around 12 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed.
2. While you’re waiting for quinoa to cook, mix the chicken and the harissa paste together. Then, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken and red pepper for 4-5 minutes.
3. Next, add the tomatoes and quinoa. Cook for a further few minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the coriander.
From Waitrose Weekend, 24th September 2015 – ‘Harissa Chicken & Quinoa Stir Fry’